Leg Cramp? Have some dates!
That’s right - dates might be your new favorite post workout food.
Dates are high in potassium - 835 mg per 5 date serving to be exact. That’s twice the potassium of a banana which comes in at only 420 mg)
So what does potassium exactly do for you?
Here are just a few of it’s benefits
- Potassium balances your sodium level to prevent your blood pressure from getting too high.
- Potassium helps regulate blood pH. Dates are actually an alkaline fruit that helps balance out overly acidic diets that come from eating highly processed foods.
- Potassium is used to convert glucose into usable energy.
- Potassium is also involved in hormone secretion and balance as well as nerve transmission.
- Potassium is involved in muscle contraction.
Ah ha! There’s the reason so many of us have been told for years to grab a banana after working out - to help with muscle cramping.
Next time you finish a leg day and feel that calf about to tighten up for the day - grab a handful of dates. Your muscles will thank you.